Friday 17 September 2010

Day 29 Walsall to Sandwell

Friday 17th September

Today, my 44th birthday, was the shortest leg of my journey so far. I'm feeling fine physically but I need some time to catch up on things like laundry that I can't do when I spend the whole day walking. It's hard to get too excited about a 7 mile trek through the traffic choked streets of an urban sprawl. Near the start the Walsall Arboretum did give a brief moment of tranquility away from the rush hour traffic. A bit further on I was amused to see the badly named Carless Street. It was full of cars.

Although it's an ugly sight I was actually very pleased to walk under the elevated junction where the northern end of the M5 merges with the M6. The M6's path and mine have crossed many times since Carlisle, I won't be seeing it again though, my occasional companion from now on will be the M5 as we both head towards the South West.

By mid-morning I had reached the West Bromwich Milk & More depot, it was my pleasure to meet the manager Dave while I was there. After leaving I walked to a nearby rail station which gives me easy access to central Birmingham. I will return to the station tomorrow morning and continue south to Redditch.

GPS data click here

Mileage today; 7.64 miles, walking time 1 hr 54 mins, average walking speed 4.0 mph

Weather, sunny spells and a cool breeze, max 16C

Cumulative mileage; 625.05 miles

Walsall Arboretum
The M5 meets the M6, a sight for sore eyes, but a pleasing landmark too.

'Carless' Street

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes from Goldilocks and wife. Following progress on 'tinternet'. Shame we didn't get the chance to see you when you were in Scotland. Last contacted you through Mark Moxon's blog. Good luck with rest of trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr and Mrs Goldilocks, thanks very much for your support. Gary

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Exmouth, Devon, United Kingdom
Hi :) I'm a 49yo father of three from Exmouth, a lovely seaside town in Devon. In parts of Exeter I'm well known as the local milkman where I've been making traditional doorstep deliveries for 15 years.