Sunday 12 September 2010

Day 24 Garstang to Wigan

Sunday 12th September 2010

It was a sultry start to the morning, not ideal with a big pack on your back. The light showers that blew in every now and then were actually quite refreshing, the wind always picking up and the temperature dropping with each shower. Between Garstang and Preston I saw the canal passing under the road a couple of times, but I absolutely had to stick to the road today with my destination Wigan being 28 miles away by the shortest possible route.

After some pleasant countryside I passed through Preston, I didn't really see much there as the busy A6 bypasses the city centre. All I noticed were the museum, which was shut, and a prison. In keeping with everywhere else on my route so far there were hand car washes to be seen on many closed down petrol station forecourts. After crossing the Ribble I bought my lunch in a convenience store and ate it while I rested on a bench.

From Preston I walked to Wigan via the A49, this was a bit quieter and free of HGVs due to a very low bridge. The A49 took me past the edges of Leyland and Chorley. For some afternoon refreshment and a rest I stopped at the very pleasant Hinds Head Hotel at Charnock Richard.

As I got close to the centre of Wigan, after taking a shortcut through a boggy field and a cemetery, I saw crowds of Wigan Warriors rugby fans on their way to watch a big play-off match against rivals Leeds Rhinos. Wigan is a relatively small town, but it can boast a Premier League football club as well as a top class rugby league team. Soon after I finally arrived at the first Milk & More depot on my walk, supervisor Kev came out on his day off and met me. Kev and his wife Angela have very kindly offered to put up for the night in their lovely home.

Today I passed two pleasing landmarks; 500 miles and 1 million steps. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to walking to the Howley depot with Lorna, a Milk & More office girl at Wigan.

GPS data click here

Mileage today; 28.75 miles, walking time 7 hrs 0 mins, average walking speed 4.1 mph

Weather, sunny spells and light showers, max 19C

Cumulative mileage; 523.81 miles

A reminder of the past near Wigan
Good weather and beautiful scenery at Charnock Richard

The River Ribble at Preston


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Exmouth, Devon, United Kingdom
Hi :) I'm a 49yo father of three from Exmouth, a lovely seaside town in Devon. In parts of Exeter I'm well known as the local milkman where I've been making traditional doorstep deliveries for 15 years.